Parents bring their teenagers to see us for a variety of reasons. Although it is normal for teenagers to try and push boundaries as they get older, it is not normal when behaviours increasingly place their mental or emotional well-being at imminent or serious risk.
Most commonly, teenagers come to see us when they are struggling with Anxiety or Mood symptoms, although parents often ask us to see their teenagers to explore concerns about substance use, risk-taking behaviour or worsening school grades.
- Mood Disorders, e.g., Dysthymia, Adjustment Disorder, Depression
- Anxiety Disorders, e.g., Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Specific Phobia, Social Phobia, Panic Disorder, Agoraphobia, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Learning and Communication Disorders e.g., Intellectual Impairment, Expressive and Receptive Language Disorders, Stuttering
- Disruptive Behaviour Disorders, e.g., Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Conduct Disorder, Oppositional Defiant Disorder
- Developmental Disorders, e.g., Autism Spectrum Disorder, Asperger’s Syndrome
What do we offer?
Our Adolescent Psychiatrists provide expert medical and psychological assessment and treatment planning. Unlike Developmental Paediatricians, Adolescent Psychiatrists have specific training over a number of years regarding the range of psychological treatments that can support teenagers and their families.
Our adolescent therapists & psychologists – Dr Christine Hyde & Bruce Laing, provide interventions in the form of Individual Therapy and Group Therapy. Therapeutic treatments include Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Interpersonal Therapy, Dialectical Behaviour Therapy, and Group Therapy.
If you require Dietetic support we have a number of excellent community dietitians we can refer you to, they can provide nutritional advice in relation to:
- Dietary advice for the management of behavioural or developmental disorders
- Nutritional support in the context of co-existing medical conditions or to address the metabolic effects of prescribed medications
- Dietetic support for disordered eating (including Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa, Binge Eating Disorder, Orthorexia, Problem Dieting, and other weight or body image issues)