Patients come to see us for a range of reasons. Whether you are struggling with relationship difficulties, mood or anxiety symptoms, grief and loss issues, or work or study stressors, our team will be able to assist you.
- Mood disorders: Dysthymia, Adjustment Disorder, Depression, Bipolar Affective Disorder, Grief and Loss
- Women’s Health Issues: Post-Natal Depression or Psychosis, Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder
- Anxiety Disorders: Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Specific Phobias, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Agoraphobia, Panic Disorder, Social Phobia
- Childhood trauma, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Psychosis: Schizoaffective Disorder, Schizophrenia, Delusional Disorder
- Substance Misuse: Drug and Alcohol Addiction, Prescription Drug Misuse, Sex and Computer Addiction
- Personality Disorders
- Relationship Issues: marital disharmony or breakdown, interpersonal conflict, coping with separated or blended (step) family dynamics
- Chronic Pain
- Eating Disorders including Body Image Issues, Problem Dieting, Overeating, Binge Eating, Bulimia Nervosa, Anorexia Nervosa, Orthorexia
Women’s Health and Perinatal Support
In the present day, women experience increasing pressures from a range of sources as women juggle professional and personal lives. Our service feels passionately about providing support to women at every stage, including times when you are planning a family, undergoing fertility treatment, or seeking support after a pregnancy. We also provide a supportive role in women who have had a miscarriage or who have made the difficult decision to have a termination. Brisbane Specialist Suites is a safe environment where you can be heard and feel respected.
Support for Parents
While parenting has its rewards it also has its challenges. These challenges can at times feel overwhelming, particularly if you are also dealing with mental health problems. As a parent you may feel that you are not coping as well as you “should”. You may be concerned about your children and have many questions about how best to support your family. We can provide the opportunity to discuss any concerns you have regarding yourself, your partner of your children. The role of specific interventions will be identified. In addition information and resources can be provided that will assist you promoting the wellbeing of your children and promoting the resilience of your family.
Over time, our service has developed close working relationships with Pain Specialists in Brisbane. Our psychiatrists are able to provide a one off assessment and management plan to inform treatment planning in situations of chronic pain and functional impairment. Please contact our reception staff to clarify which Specialist would suit your needs best.
What do we offer?
Leaflet: Brisbane Specialist Suites (general practice leaflet)
Our Psychiatrists provide expert medical and psychological assessment and treatment planning. Psychiatrists are medical doctors who are uniquely trained to have a detailed understanding of the relationship between medical or physical illness and the conditions affecting the mind or psyche. Their unique training, which combines both knowledge of medication as well as training in individual and group therapy, places them in a great position to be able to devise a holistic treatment plan to address your concerns.
Our therapists, Leisa Tanner, Alexandra Ward and Aleksander Chojnacki, provide interventions in the form of Individual Therapy and Group Therapy. Therapeutic treatments include principles from Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Interpersonal Therapy, Dialectical Behaviour Therapy, and Group Therapy.
If you require Dietetic support we have a number of excellent community dietitians we can refer you to, they can provide nutritional advice in relation to:
- Nutritional support in the context of medical conditions or to manage the metabolic side effects of medications
- Dietetic support in Disordered Eating including:
Binge Eating Disorder
Problem Dieting and
Other Weight or Body Image Issues